About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals andoutcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
Giving to USC Gould
- Welcome to Gift Planning
- Types of Planned Gifts
- Assets to Give
- Gould Heritage Society
- Donor Stories
- Life Stage Gift Planner™
- Compare Gift Options
- Bequest Language
- Request a Calculation
- CA Estate Planning Resources
- Newsletter Sign-Up
- Request eBrochures
- Contact Us
Featured Blog Post
Take Advantage of the IRA Charitable Rollover for This Tax YearPosted December 2017
The IRA charitable rollover has become one of the most popular ways to make gifts to charity, and many donors make IRA gifts in December as part of their year-end strategy to reduce taxes for the year. The availability of the rollover used to be up in the air from year to year—with Congress sometimes giving approval at the “stroke of midnight”—so donors had to wait until year-end to make a gift via the rollover. But now it is a permanent fixture in tax law, so you don’t have to wait until the 11th hour.
To take advantage of this wonderful giving opportunity, you must be at least 70½ years of age—the age at which you are required to begin taking distributions from your IRA (even if you don’t need the money). You can join other supporters who are benefiting us and avoiding paying income tax on the distribution by transferring up to $100,000 free of tax directly from your IRA.
Is this the right gift for you to make? Yes, if some or all of the following are true:
- You do not need all of the required distribution from your IRA; you can benefit because the transfer will count toward your minimum distribution requirement.
- You live in a state where a charitable deduction is not allowed for state tax purposes.
- You do not itemize; you can make a gift without the amount of the gift included as taxable income.
- You have, or would like to make, contributions in excess of the annual 50 percent limitation on deductibility for charitable contributions.
- Your major liquid asset is your IRA.
- You have an enforceable charitable pledge; you can use the transfer to satisfy your pledge to us without violating the rules against self-dealing.
What are the requirements and restrictions for making this gift?
- You must be 70½ years of age or older.
- The gift must be made directly from the IRA to our organization.
- Gifts cannot exceed a total of $100,000 for the year.
- Gifts must be outright.
- Gifts cannot be made to a donor advised fund, to a supporting organization, or to fund a charitable life-income agreement.
- The gift is not included in taxable income, and therefore no income-tax charitable deduction is allowed.
- The gift can be made only from an IRA; rollover gifts are not permitted from a 401(k), 403(b), or 457 plan.
What steps should you take to make a gift?
- Contact your IRA custodian right away for directions on how to initiate the transfer to us.
- Contact our office about your gift and for any other assistance we may be able to provide in requesting the transfer and completing the gift.
|Share This Post:||
- Request a confidential conversation with a gift-planning
officer about gift plans or other options
- Read about our donors and the gifts they've made
© Pentera, Inc. Planned giving content. All rights reserved.